Bolt announces retirement plans

By Staff Writer  |  February 14, 2015
Bolt announces retirement plans

Usain Bolt has announced he will retire from athletics in the world championships in London in two years time.

The world’s fastest man has announced he will put off retirement by a year and step down from competitive sport at the 2017 world championships.

It was thought the Jamaican superstar would retire at the Olympics in Rio next year. But the six times Olympic champion will defend his 100m title in London and then say goodbye to the sport he has dominated for the past six years.

The 28-year-old says that he will just focus on the 100m in 2017 after a career which has seen him win gold in eight world championship events, one commonwealth and six Olympic distances. He also holds the world record for 100m and 200m.

Bolt to step down in London

Bolt to step down in London

Bolt had previously suggested that the Rio Games in 2016 would be his last major championship but he now appears to have changed his mind to make a return to London after starring in the 2012 Olympics.

He said: “That was the initial plan but my sponsor has asked me to go on for another year; to 2017 and London.

“But I’ll be doing one event, the 100m. I’ve already discussed it with my coach. I can concentrate on that, and on retiring on a winning note.”

Bolt’s main focus for 2015 will be the World Championships in Beijing in August.  He added: “If everything goes well this season…in my life anything is possible. If I can get myself in good shape, it should be wonderful this season

“I live for competition. I thrive on competition. I live to compete against the best.”

Farah issues race challenge to Bolt

Bolt with good friend Mo Farah,

Related Posts
Billionaire interested in Newcastle

EXCLUSIVE An American billionaire is interested in buying Newcastle. Winner Sports can exclusively reveal wrestling promoter Vince McMahon has expressed an initial interest in buying…

February 17, 2014  
Liverpool FC agree fee in excess of £74m to sign Naby Keita

Liverpool FC have agreed in principle a fee worth more than £74m to sign RB Leipzig midfielder Naby Keita, Winner Sports understands. According to sources familiar with the matter…

July 22, 2017  
Arsenal FC youngster Joel Campbell joining Greek Champions

Arsenal youngster Joel Campbell is set to join Greek Champions Olympiakos on a season-long loan. Since joining the Gunners from Deportivo Saprissa in 2011, the…

July 26, 2013  
About the author
TOP FREE BETS